In 1925 the school became the Tempe State Teachers College and offered four-year Bachelor of Education degrees as well as two-year teaching certificates.In 1929, the legislature authorized Bachelor of Arts in Education degrees as well, and the school was renamed the Arizona State Teachers College.ASU's Downtown Phoenix campus was also expanded, with several colleges and schools relocating there.The university established learning centers throughout the state, including the ASU Colleges at Lake Havasu City and programs in Thatcher, Yuma, and Tucson.
The first dormitories built in the state were constructed under his supervision, the first being in 1902.
At the time, two other names considered were Tempe University and State University at Tempe. Russell Nelson (1981–89), including and Interim President Richard Peck (1989), led the university to increased academic stature, the establishment of the ASU West campus in 1984 and its subsequent construction in 1986, a focus on computer-assisted learning and research, and rising enrollment. Coor, president from 1990 to 2002, ASU grew through the creation of the Polytechnic campus and extended education sites.
Among Gammage's greatest achievements in Tempe was the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed construction of what is today Grady Gammage Memorial Auditorium/ASU Gammage, the university's hallmark building, which was completed in 1964, five years after the president's death. Richardson, who served as acting president for nine months before the appointment of the university's 11th president, G. By the 1960s, with the presidency of Durham, the university began to expand its academic curriculum by establishing several new colleges and beginning to award Doctor of Philosophy and other doctoral degrees. Increased commitment to diversity, quality in undergraduate education, research, and economic development occurred over his 12-year tenure.
Arizona State University was established as the Territorial Normal School at Tempe on March 12, 1885, when the 13th Arizona Territorial Legislature passed an act to create a normal school to train teachers for the Arizona Territory.
The campus consisted of a single, four-room schoolhouse on a 20-acre plot largely donated by Tempe residents George and Martha Wilson.